Monday, November 28, 2011

Jay: What do you want for dinner baby?
Me: Mmmm I don't know yet, I'll think about it for a bit.
Jay: Let me know, I'll go shopping.
Me: We have purple potatoes and kale at home… Go from there :)
Jay: Ok..

And this is what he created… He calls it "Off the Board Vegetable Soup"... you may be wondering why... Well each Saturday my sister and I go to a local farmers market for our veggies, and groceries in general. When I get home, as I put my weekly haul away, I write down on our kitchen board what I brought. As the week progresses and we use stuff up, we erase the items from the board, so when Saturday rolls around I know what I have, what needs to be used up, and what I need to purchase...

This soup was made at the end of the week... with the veggies listed on the board...
Jay also wrote up a recipe for it... so here it is... enjoy, if you decide to make your own version of Off the Board Vegetable Soup:)

Off the Board Vegetable Soup

Prep time – 20 min
Cook time - 1hr
Yield
-4 LT

5x Carrots diced
3 Celery stalks diced
1 Onion diced
1lb Purple potatoes cut in 1/2
3 Leeks sliced
3 Garlic cloves chopped
1 bunch Green Kale washed sliced
1 small Can cherry tomatoes
1Tbs Olive oil
1lt organic vegetable stock
2 Tbs Sundried tomato paste
1 can of creamed corn

- Wash all the ingredients
- Chop all the vegetables the same size so they cook evenly
- Heat olive oil in a 6lt stock pot
- Add every thing but the Kale, potatoes and sundried tomato paste to the pot sauté for a minute or two
- Add the stock, tomatoes and some salt and pepper
- Let it cook for about 30 min at a low boil
- At this time the Kale, sundried tomato paste and the cream corn can go in turn the heat to low and let cook (simmer) for another 30 min
- Taste for salt and pepper

No comments:

Post a Comment